Thursday, December 03, 2009

my son the nut

The song Rat Fink popped into my head the other day and I realized that I knew Allan Sherman's parody versions of classic songs better than the originals (in this case, Rag Mop.)

He's probably best known for his classic Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh. My dad used to play his comedy album, My Son the Nut and my brother and I used to sing along and giggle. It was extremely silly and loads of fun. There was also something very Rat Pack and night clubby about it.

I was watching The Cat in the Hat with my daughter the other day and realized that Sherman was the voice of the Cat. There is something so "comedy" about his inflection, even when he is singing. He enunciates. He rocks. Al Yankovic knows who did it first.

Here he is sharing his silliness with Dino and Vic Damone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment