Wednesday, December 02, 2009

why must I be surounded by frickin' idiots?


Dr. Evil may have wanted to (mistakenly, in 90s currency) steal ONE MILLION DOLLARS, but I think he even would have agreed with me that what Scott Miracle Gro has done to the brand and concept of Smith and Hawken is just, well, evil.

I have already posted a link to a more detailed account on facebook, but it bears re-sharing, as this story is not about hard times for retailers in a bad economy, but one of greed and primarily, stupidity. A big company bought something it didn't understand. They didn't know what they had, and they didn't take any time to try and make it work—to the detriment of a thirty-year company and 700 lost jobs.

I used to shop at the SoHo Smith and Hawken when I lived in New York. It was definitely a downtown oasis. When I moved to D.C. I was happy to visit the Georgetown store. Both stores were regular haunts during the holidays—many of the ornaments on my Xmas tree were purchased there. Living in the city, I was more likely to buy a potted orchid than garden supplies, but it was always a fragrant, tasteful, pleasant place to visit, whether making a purchase or just browsing. Browsing is highly under-rated.

Like the lunkheads who killed Gourmet magazine, this decision just screams, "Huh?" No one thought about building up the online business before closing all the stores? Why would they have them all close mid-November and miss the holiday season? Why was there not more fanfare? I found out after-the-fact. Why must we be surrounded by such frickin' idiots? Like I said, I don't have a garden, but you can be sure there won't be any Scott product purchases in my future.

Elegantly Dressed Wednesday button

2 comments:

jane said...

I used to go to the Soho store too and it was like an oasis. I also bought ornaments and a few gardening things for friends. I always thought it was a bit on the expensive side and now that I live in a more let's say rural area it seems even more so. Still, I liked their aesthetic and just bought a gift for my sister-in-law from their line with Target.

It's a shame that so many decent brands are dying. I was so upset when Domino magazine bit the dust and was just getting to really like Cookie magazine despite all the expensive gear it features and voila it's dead along with Gourmet. Maybe magazines are going to be a thing of the past I hope not. It's a shame that advertising plays such a role in what gets produced. Certainly there is still room in this world for a gardening store!

xoxoxo said...

Yes, S&H was pricey. If I had a garden I would probably buy bulbs at the local hardware store. But some stores are as much an experience as a source of retail income. Especially in NY, where all stores takes on a bigger persona, especially around Times Square. What really bugs me is how the company was just purchased and then run into the ground, with no sense of what it was or what it could be.

Magazines are dying, and it's hard to watch. I've been gradually canceling any subscriptions I've had over the years, as I simply don't have any time to read them anymore on a regular basis. But I don't want them to go away. I don't know why someone with big bucks isn't stepping in to rescue some of these ventures. Technology is changing, but there are cooking blogs galore, Food Network is huge - there must have been some way to make Gourmet viable and profitable in the 21st century.

Very short-sighted.

Post a Comment